October is national dental hygiene month and we hope you are practicing the right hygiene practices. Make sure to be maintaining your healthy smile with proper brushing techniques, rinsing and flossing.
The proper brushing technique is to:
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- To clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up- and-down strokes.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and keep your breath fresh.
Don't forget to floss and rise as well! To properly floss use index fingers to guide floss between contacts of the lower teeth. Gently guide floss between the teeth by using a zig-zag motion. Gently wrap floss around the side of the tooth. Slide floss up and down against the tooth surface and under the gumline. Rinsing at multiple points throughout the day can also improve dental health, but make sure to stay away from rinses with alcohol in them.
Check out a qucik video on three dental hygiene tips: